Ashby-de-la-Zouch is a small market town in the northwest corner of the county of Leicester, having a station on the Midland Railway branch line from Leicester to Burton-on-Trent, distant from the former about 17 miles, and 12 miles from the latter.
The Castle stands on rising ground to the south-east of the town, and adjoins the fine and ancient parish church. It is much visited during the summer months by tourists and others, who are at specified times shown over the ruins by a guide. (Admission 3d.).
Within the Castle precincts is a large mansion known as " The Manor House," the residence of Lady Maud Hastings. From the adjoining lawn the finest view of the Castle is to be obtained, but the grounds are not open to the public.
Founded in early Norman times, from which period certain portions of the Castle date, it was for several centuries the home of the Zouch family, but in 1476 it came into the possession of the Hastings family, who hold it to this day.